Job Description: Carpenter
Main Responsibility: To plan and execute profitable production activities, as assigned by the Lead Carpenter or Owner, that support the goals of the company.
Activities: The position’s activities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Insure company and customer satisfaction through professional appearance (no shorts, sleeveless shirts, open toe shoes, etc.), expert workmanship, and polite communication.
- Attend all company/client meetings approved by the Owner/Lead Carpenter.
- Oversee job sites as assigned, maintain appropriate care and custody of customer belongings (protect furniture/belongings in work areas), provide security when leaving sites (lock all doors/windows, secure keys, maintain job site key boxes, etc.).
- Maintain a safe, secure, and clean job site.
- If not provided by Lead Carpenter or Owner:
a. Create an anticipated project schedule (critical path) in advance of project commencement.
b. Adjust schedule as needed based on production realities.
c. Advise subcontractors of proposed schedule and/or changes.
d. Verify and confirm material lead times and purchase orders as needed to maintain efficient schedule.
e. Complete and execute material take-offs and orders.
- On a daily basis, inform the Lead Carpenter of the progress of projects, including any customer concerns, problems, delays, etc.
- Supervise the activities of independent subcontractors, which includes oral and written communication as needed.
- Be responsible for the efficient and profitable use of the company’s time, manpower, and materials on each project as included in job estimates/work order sheets.
- Responsible for tracking the progress and profitability of the projects under his/her supervision and reporting to the Lead Carpenter.
- Recognize and communicate need for change orders as appropriate for any changes in job scopes or budget.
- Insure the image of the company is supported by the appearance and activities of the installation teams and job sites.
- Provide and maintain an operational inventory of necessary tools, personal safety equipment, equipment and vehicles to perform job activities assigned by the Lead Carpenter or Owner.
- Receive payments from clients as directed by the Lead Carpenter or Owner.
- Assist in the company’s marketing as directed by Management, which may include job site marketing, events, canvassing, online marketing, customer satisfaction follow up, etc.
- Voluntarily attend industry seminars and shows to obtain new product knowledge and new installation procedures.
- Seek additional responsibility and guidance from company management as needed to enhance existing skills, learn new skills, and create potential for professional advancement.
- Execute highly physical tasks including, but not limited to, lifting, moving, loading, and unloading heavy materials and/or equipment that may weigh well over 75lbs, as well as working from ladders, scaffolding, and in residential crawlspaces and attics.
- Work with Lead Carpenter to develop and manage best practices and procedures to profitably further the goals of the company.